Nurse Educator Schools in Ohio
Are you currently working as a practice nurse in Ohio (or moving there) and considering a career change toward education? It’s an exciting step to take, but it needs careful consideration, not least of all which entry route you need based on your experience. This guide provides the information you need to get started.
To work as a nursing educator in Ohio, you need to follow a set of obligatory educational and career steps. A relevant accredited undergraduate degree (ADN or BSN) is mandatory to apply for your Registered Nursing license, which is also mandatory to study for a master's degree (MSN) or doctorate (PhD, DNP, EdD). The graduate program must focus on nursing education or have the option to study that pathway.
Online RN to MSN Nurse Educator Programs
Ohio has a small number of Nurse Educator programs, and most are available online, such as the one at Mercy College. Students will learn diagnostics and treatment, procedure, law and ethics, and assessment.
Entry requirements are:
- Accredited Associate's Degree
- Unencumbered RN license which is in date
- Criminal background check
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- Non-native English speakers must demonstrate relevant language proficiency
Online BSN to MSN Nurse Educator Programs
Ohio has a small number of online BSN to MSN Nurse Educator programs, such as the one at Ohio State University. Students will learn about a range of issues from curriculum development and assessment to diagnostics and treatment along with medical skills.
- A regionally accredited BSN
- A minimum GPA – typically 3.0 but some could be lower
- Registered Nursing license (unencumbered)
- There may be some course entry requirements such as biology or statistics and minimum grades required
- Proof of English proficiency through certification is required for non-native speakers
Online Doctorate Nurse Educator Programs: DNP, Ph.D., or Ed.D.
The DNP is typically for those who want to become practicing doctors, while the PhD is typically for research. The EdD is for those students who want to go on to teach, but these degrees are less common.
The admission requirements for entering a doctorate program in nursing education are similar to the requirements for other nursing education programs but you will be required to hold a higher degree (MSN).
Nursing educators in Ohio must adhere to all minimum eligibility standards for their license to maintain that eligibility. This remains the case even for those who will work as full-time educators.
You should also consider becoming certified through the Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) scheme. Though optional, you may find better career prospects in holding one. There are three types:
- Type one is the CNE: This is targeted at educators in academia
- Type two is the CNEcl: This is targeted at trainers of professional clinicians
- Type three is the CNEn: Aimed at novices in both the other two types (less than three years of experience)
Such certification also has minimum eligibility to maintain certification.
RN licensing in Ohio is $75 for the application and $200 for the exam. It is not clear how much endorsement costs. CNE costs one standard price across the US which is $400 for NLN members and $500 for non-members.
What career options do you have once completed all the steps above?
- Academic teaching: Working from schools, colleges, and universities around the US teaching prospective medical professionals
- Professional instruction: Instead of teaching students, you'll teach medical professionals with mandatory ongoing training
- Private training provider: While you could train medical professionals, you may also be involved in training support staff
- Charities: Non-profits employ a range of professionals – clinicians and support – who need relevant training. Also, education professionals are required for grant applications
- Public health professional: Working with groups or the general public to help with their rights or general medical awareness
Ready to find an online or campus-based nurse educator degree program in Ohio? Explore our listings to find the perfect program that matches your academic goals and career aspirations.
North Canton, OH
Pepper Pike, OH
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.