What Are the Online Nursing Education Prerequisites in Kansas?

Education nurses that operate in Kansas need both an undergraduate degree (ADN or BSN are both acceptable), a nursing license, and a relevant graduate degree (MSN in nursing education or an MSN with an education option). Doctorate holders are also accepted (PhDs and DNPs are the most common though some states offer EdD which covers nursing).

Online BSN to MSN Nurse Educator Programs

Kansas currently offers two choices of fully online BSN to MSN Nursing with an education pathway. Students will cover teaching strategies, curriculum development, assessment of candidates, apprenticeships, statistics, and treatment and diagnostic skills:

  • A relevant nursing bachelor's degree with a GPA of 3.0
  • Schools may also request to see grades from specific subjects
  • Transcripts as proof
  • Current RN license
  • Application form and fees
  • Two reference letters
  • Complete a personal statement

Online Doctorate Nurse Educator Programs: DNP, Ph.D., or Ed.D.

The admission requirements for entering a doctorate program in nursing education are similar to the requirements for other nursing education programs but you will be required to hold a higher degree (MSN).

There are three doctorate programs for nursing education. The first is a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), which is a degree reserved for practicing doctors. There are a few DNP programs available online, including at Washburn University.

The second is a Doctor of Nursing Philosophy (PhD). This degree is typically for those working toward a career in nursing research. The University of Kansas offers a great program for this specific degree.

Some universities in some states offer online Doctor of Education (EdD) for nurse educators. The University of Kansas is one such institution.

Nurse Educator Licensing and Certification in Kansas

To work as a nurse educator in Kansas, you need to prove you have fulfilled a series of formal requirements. This includes a current registered nursing license even if you do not intend to practice beyond the minimum required number of hours.

Certification is also advised, though not mandatory. There are three types: which you choose depends on your career path:

  • CNE: The first type is for those who work in academic education
  • CNEcl: This second type is for those who work in educating professionals
  • CNEn: This third type is for novices without the prerequisite of three years of experience for the other two types

The certificate has a number of mandatory minimum standards for continued eligibility. This includes but is not limited to, practice hours and ongoing personal education like upskilling.

RN licensing in Kansas costs $100 for the application, a $48 background check, and $200 to take the exam. License by endorsement is $75. The CNE cost is always the same no matter which state you're in: it is $400 for NLN members and $500 for non-members.

Who Hires Nurse Educators in Kansas?

Once you've completed your qualifications and licensing, what are your career options?

  • Academia: Research, some practice at university hospitals, and teaching both undergraduate and graduate students
  • Professional development: Working at medical facilities, you will train medical and support professionals with ongoing training or upskilling
  • Private training provider: This will be much the same as professional development, but you'll work for a private provider and train in non-medical issues such as regulation
  • Charities: Any of the above in the charity sector, but also in public outreach and awareness, and lobbying politicians and other decision-makers

List of Nurse Educator Degree Programs in Kansas

Ready to find an online or campus-based nurse educator degree program in Kansas? Explore our listings to find the perfect program that matches your academic goals and career aspirations.

Hays, KS

Graduate Certificate ProgramsMSN Programs
Department of Nursing
600 Park Street
Hays, KS 67601
(785) 628-4256

Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.

Share This: