Nurse Educator Schools in Tennessee
Tennessee is a great place to work as a nurse, both in practice and outside of the front line. It’s also a great state to work in nursing education, whether it's teaching new nursing students or upskilling existing RN professionals. If you’re considering this as a career, read through this guide for more information.
Nursing educators in Tennessee require a relevant undergraduate degree in nursing. This can be either an ADN or BSN. As with your practice nursing, you must have a Registered Nursing license. Further, you need a master's degree in nursing (MSN) with an education major or option, or a doctorate (Ph.D., DNP, Ed.D.) with those too.
Online RN to MSN Nurse Educator Programs
Tennessee has just one online RN to MSN Nurse Educator program located at East Tennessee University. It is available as a part-time and a full-time program for those who currently work as registered nurses.
- Complete an Associate Degree in Nursing
- Unencumbered Registered Nursing license
- Transcripts may be required
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on the 4.0 scale
- Specific courses are usually required, including statistics and anatomy & physiology, usually grade C or 3.0 or equivalent
Online BSN to MSN Nurse Educator Programs
There are two online BSN to MSN Nurse Educator programs in Tennessee, Tennessee State University and East Tennessee University. Students learn to teach clinical skills, but also teaching and assessment methods, along with curriculum design and effective assessment.
- A regionally accredited BSN
- A copy of your unencumbered RN license
- State issued ID
- Reference letters – must be a mix of academic and employer references
- Send transcripts with your application if requested
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on the 4.0 scale
Online Doctorate Nurse Educator Programs: DNP, Ph.D., or Ed.D.
The DNP is typically for those who want to become practicing doctors, while the Ph.D. is typically for research. The Ed.D. is for those students who want to go on to teach, but these degrees are less common.
The admission requirements for entering a doctorate program in nursing education are similar to the requirements for other nursing education programs. Still, you will be required to hold a higher degree (MSN).
Nursing educators in Tennessee are required to maintain a list of qualifiers to hold and maintain the Registered Nursing license. Those who will solely work as an educator are not excluded from this.
Nursing educators should consider certification through the CNE. Though it is not mandatory, some employers may strongly prefer it or stipulate it in job listings. Three types exist:
- CNE is the certification for those working in academic teaching (colleges and universities)
- CNEcl is the certification for professional trainers (those who work in clinical settings teaching other clinicians)
- CNEn is the novice type of certification for those with less than three years of experience in either field
Much like licensing, certification also holds a minimum criteria list for continued eligibility and renewal.
RN licensing in Tennessee costs $115 for license by endorsement and $200 for the examination. There is no fee for the application. CNE is one standard cost no matter the state of residence: $400 for NLN members; $500 for non-members.
The following careers are the most likely destination for you once you've completed all the steps above:
- Academia: US nursing schools and universities employ educators as teachers for nursing undergraduates and graduate students
- Professional training: Hospitals and other medical facilities that employ medical professionals require educators for ongoing training
- Private training: You'll work for independent agencies and train support staff rather than clinicians. This includes sales and administrative support
- Non-profit: Educators are required for training aid workers, but also when appealing to government and grant bodies
- Public health: Likely a public-facing role meeting the general public or special interest groups with dedicated health needs
Ready to find an online or campus-based nurse educator degree program in Tennessee? Explore our listings to find the perfect program that matches your academic goals and career aspirations.
Johnson City, TN
- MSN - Education Online
Memphis, TN 38152
(190) 167-8200 x3
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.