Nurse Educator Schools in New Hampshire
Nurses in New Hampshire have career options beyond clinical practice. Those considering their future may find nursing education an ideal and exciting new career path. If you’re considering this career, read on for further details on how you can go about achieving it.
Such a career switch in New Hampshire requires several steps. You will need a relevant undergraduate degree in the form of an ADN or BSN. You will also need an RN license. If you're working in practice nursing, you likely already have these. Then you need to study a Master of Science in Nursing Education or a general master's degree with an education pathway.
Online RN to MSN Nurse Educator Programs
New Hampshire has a small number of Nurse Educator programs, and most are available online, such as the one at Southern New Hampshire University. Students will learn diagnostics and treatment, procedure, law and ethics, and assessment.
Entry requirements are:
- Accredited Associate's Degree
- Unencumbered RN license which is in date
- Criminal background check
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- Non-native English speakers must demonstrate relevant language proficiency
Online BSN to MSN Nurse Educator Programs
New Hampshire has a small number of BSN to MSN Nurse Educator programs with an online option, such as Southern New Hampshire University's MSN program. Students learn health assessment, care management, facilitated learning and innovations in teaching. Entry requirements are typically these:
- A regionally accredited BSN
- Unencumbered in-date RN license
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- There may be specified courses required for entry with stipulated minimum grades
- Non-native English speakers must submit relevant language proficiency test scores
Online Doctorate Nurse Educator Programs: DNP, Ph.D., or Ed.D.
There are three doctorate programs for nursing education to choose from. A Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP) for practicing doctors, a Doctorate of Nursing Philosophy (PhD) for doctors of research, and a Doctorate of Education (EdD) for those who wish to teach in the nursing field.
The admission requirements for applying to a doctorate program in nursing education are similar to the requirements for other nursing education programs, except that you will need to possess a master's degree before you begin.
Professional nursing educators in New Hampshire are required to maintain the required standards to remain licensed even if they intend to work as an educator full-time.
Consider professional certification as an educator. While the CNE is not mandatory, your career can benefit. There are three types:
- CNE: This first type is for academia and may involve research along with teaching undergraduates and graduates
- CNEcl: This second type is for educators of clinical professionals
- CNEn: This third type is for novice educators for the other two categories. You are eligible with less than three years of experience
You will also be required to maintain a list of standards for ongoing certification just as you do with the RN license.
RN licensing in New Hampshire is $120 for the application and $200 for the examination. The background check fee is $48.25. The endorsement cost is $120and renewals for all applicants are $80. CNE is one standard cost across the US: $400 for NLN members and $500 for non-members.
What are your career options once you have achieved all of the above?
- Academic teaching: Colleges and universities require teaching staff to train the next generation of nurses
- Professional teaching: You will be working from medical facilities and be responsible for training medical professionals. May include nursing practice
- Private training: Contract work including training both medical professionals and support staff like administration
- Charity training: Aid workers – whether medical or not – need training. You may also work in public health outreach or other public-facing roles
Ready to find an online or campus-based nurse educator degree program in New Hampshire? Explore our listings to find the perfect program that matches your academic goals and career aspirations.
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.