Nurse Educator Schools in Indiana
Are you at a stage in your nursing career where you’re looking at a non-practice career? One of your many options in nursing education. Indiana needs nursing educators for academic teaching and professional training, and programs such as the MSN program at Indiana University.
You will need a nursing undergraduate degree – either an ADN or BSN is suitable as the most critical element is your Registered Nursing license. You will also need a master's degree, either in an MSN with a nursing education track or a dedicated master's in that subject. Doctorates are also eligible (PhD, DNP, or EdD).
Online BSN to MSN Nurse Educator Programs
Indiana currently offers several choices of online BSN to MSN programs, including both MSN with an education pathway and dedicated nursing education MSN (both fully or mainly online). You will study curriculum, assessment, advanced pharmacology, and other subjects:
- A bachelor's degree with a GPA of 3.0 on the 4.0 scale
- Schools may require grades from specific subjects
- Transcripts: other materials may be requested
- Send the application form and fees
- An unencumbered in-date RN license
- Proof of English proficiency required of English as a second language applicant students
Online Doctorate Nurse Educator Programs: DNP, Ph.D., or Ed.D.
The admission requirements for entering a doctorate program in nursing education are similar to the requirements for other nursing education programs. Still, you will be required to hold a higher degree (MSN).
There are three doctorate programs for nursing education. The first is a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), which is a degree reserved for practicing doctors. There are a few DNP programs available online, including at Indiana University.
The second is a Doctor of Nursing Philosophy (PhD). This degree is typically for those working toward a career in nursing research. Indiana State University offers a great program for this specific degree.
Some universities in some states offer online Doctor of Education (EdD) for nurse educators, however, Indiana does not currently have any such options.
To work as a nursing educator in Indiana, an RN license is mandatory. You will also be required to keep up your minimum license eligibility requirements even after your graduate degree and regardless of whether you intend to keep on practicing beyond those minimum requirements.
Certification is available for nursing educators though it is strongly advised and not mandatory. There are three types:
- The CNE is for educators in academia
- The CNEcl is for educators of clinical health professionals
- CNEn is for novices. The other two types require a minimum number of years of experience. The CNEn does not
You must have both an in-date and unencumbered RN license to apply for any CNE. Other stipulations apply to ongoing education and practice hours.
RN licensing in Illinois costs$50 for the application and $200 for the exam. It is $50 for a license by endorsement and a $50 renewal fee. CNE cost is standard in all states: $400 for NLN members and $500 for non-members.
Considering your career options now you have all of the above? Here are some ways you might apply your new skills:
- Academia: You will teach both undergraduate and postgraduate nursing students. Research or other academic responsibilities may also feature
- Professional training: You will work from medical facilities teaching medical professionals and support staff
- Private training provider: Similar to above, but you'll work independently of medical facilities hired to train medical professionals and admin/support
- Charities: Educating frontline aid workers, and support staff, or even working with the public on health campaigns and outreach
Ready to find an online or campus-based nurse educator degree program in Indiana? Explore our listings to find the perfect program that matches your academic goals and career aspirations.
Terre Haute, IN
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.