Nurse Educator Schools in North Carolina
There are many ways in which nurses in North Carolina can apply their skills with the practice being among the most common. Sometimes, practice nurses decide to shift focus to the education of new students and training professionals. If this career is of interest to you, read on.
Nursing educators in the state require three things: a relevant undergraduate degree (either an ADN or BSN), a Registered Nursing license, and a relevant master's degree (MSN). You need the license even if you wish to exit nursing practice and only work the mandated number of hours required for continued licensure. The MSN can either be dedicated to education or a regular nursing MSN with an education concentration. PhD graduates are also eligible.
Online RN to MSN Nurse Educator Programs
North Carolina has a small number of Nurse Educator programs, and most are available online, such as the one at the University of North Carolina Charlotte. Students will learn diagnostics and treatment, procedure, law and ethics, and assessment.
Entry requirements are:
- Accredited Associate's Degree
- Unencumbered RN license which is in date
- Criminal background check
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- Non-native English speakers must demonstrate relevant language proficiency
Online BSN to MSN Nurse Educator Programs
North Carolina has plenty of online BSN to MSN Nurse Educator programs, such as the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Students will learn about a range of issues from education development, class planning, diagnostics and treatment, assessment, and theory & practice.
- A regionally accredited BSN
- Application form and fee
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- An unencumbered Registered Nursing license
- Some programs may have specified minimum grade C
- If English is not your first language, you will need to prove proficiency through certification
Online Doctorate Nurse Educator Programs: DNP, Ph.D., or Ed.D.
There are three doctorate programs for nursing education to choose from. A Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP) for practicing doctors, a Doctorate of Nursing Philosophy (PhD) for doctors of research, and a Doctorate of Education (EdD) for those who wish to teach in the nursing field.
The admission requirements for applying to a doctorate program in nursing education are similar to the requirements for other nursing education programs, except that you will need to possess a master's degree before you begin.
Nursing educators in North Carolina must maintain all standards for keeping their nursing license, even if they won't work in a clinical setting in any meaningful way.
There is also a Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) available. It is an optional certification, but you should strongly consider applying for one. Three types are available:
- CNE: This is the first type of certification; it is for those who work in academia
- CNEcl: This is the second type; it is for professional clinical trainers
- CNEn: This third type is for novice educators with under three years of experience
Licensure has a list of eligibility criteria to remain certified throughout the term.
RN licensing in North Carolina is $75 for license by examination and $200 for the examination. Renewal is $100 while endorsement cost is $150.CNE is one standard cost anywhere in the US: $400 for NLN members and $500 for non-members.
There are a few areas where you might work once you've graduated and are licensed:
- Academic: Higher education establishments need teaching professors for new undergraduates and postgraduates
- Professional educators: Most medical professionals need ongoing training to maintain their licenses. These educators provide that
- Private trainer: Educating both medical professionals and support staff, working outside of a clinical setting
- Charity: Trainers, educators, and teachers are needed for a range of non-profits. Also lobbying and grant application
- Public health: You may work for the government or dedicated charities educating interest groups about their health
Ready to find an online or campus-based nurse educator degree program in North Carolina? Explore our listings to find the perfect program that matches your academic goals and career aspirations.
Boiling Springs, NC
Chapel Hill, NC
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.